Modern News Ticker is a powerful, flexible, fast, easy to use and customize news ticker. It offers a varied number of features while still being lightweight and very easy to work with:
- It comes with 15 different themes to choose from.
- It has 4 different effects: scroll, fade, type and slide.
- It has 4 different layouts that include news items, front label and control buttons.
- The corners can be set to either round or square.
- News items can be entered manually or WP posts can be used as news items.
- Additionally, WP posts can be used as a feed source.
- It can load RSS, JSON and Twitter feeds.
- The feeds can be set to automatically refresh.
- It has 30 settings available that control the content, effects, feeds and other behaviors.
- It has 3 methods that control the autoplay and the feed refresh.
- It is responsive.
- It includes continued support and upgrades.
- NEW: RTL support.
This is the WordPress plugin version of the news ticker. A jQuery plugin version is also available here: Modern News Ticker.
1.9.0 (20 March 2020):
- For news items entered through the admin UI, added support for “span” tags, so that sections of text can be formatted differently through CSS, if needed. Supported attributes for the “span” tag are: “id”, “class” and “style”.
- Added a new setting called “Random order”, in the “Other” metabox, to be able to set the news items to display in a random order. This applies for both the news items entered manually as well as for those loaded from feeds.
- Added a new setting called “Center align”, in the “Other” metabox, to be able to set the news items to align to the center. Applicable for effects other than “Scroll”.
1.8.1 (03 January 2020):
- Fixed an issue that was causing the tweet links not to open properly.
1.8.0 (14 November 2019):
- Added a new setting to the Twitter feed called “Exclude Replies” to be able to exclude replies from the returned feed.
- Added a new setting to the Twitter feed called “Include Retweets” to be able to include retweets in the returned feed.
- Made the feed preloader show a bit faster.
- Added a “Changelog.txt” file and moved here the version changes that were previously listed in the “Readme.txt” file.
1.7.0 (26 September 2019):
- Added RTL support. A new setting is available on the admin page of a ticker, in the “Other” metabox, called “Direction” that can be set to “Left to right (LTR)” (default) or “Right to left (RTL)”.
- Moved the JS source file from the “Sources/js” project folder to the “modern-news-ticker/public/js” plugin folder, next to the minified version.
- Fixed an issue with the news items height that was occurring in some themes.
- Other small modifications.
1.6.2 (17 September 2019):
- Added a new option on the “Settings” page called “rss2json API key” to be able to specify an API key for the rss2json service, if needed.
1.6.1 (11 May 2019):
- Fixed an error in the admin occurring in the recently released 5.2 version of WordPress.
1.6.0 (15 January 2019):
As Yahoo recently shutdown the YQL service, the “YQL” load process type for RSS feeds was removed.
The “rss2json” load process is now the default one for RSS feeds and the “Self” load process is also available as a backup.
As backward compatibility, if the ticker has the load process set to “YQL”, it automatically defaults to “rss2json”.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the “Post tags” setting from the “Feed” metabox to be shown when not applicable.
1.5.0 (13 December 2018):
- Added an option to select post tags to the “Posts” feed.
- Added a “Tags” column to the “Add Posts” modal.
- Fixed a few minor bugs.
1.4.1 (10 August 2018):
- Fixed an error that was sometimes occurring on the admin page when saving a ticker, in some older versions of PHP.
1.4.0 (28 March 2018):
- Added an option to select post categories to the “Posts” feed.
- Added a “Categories” column to the “Add Posts” modal.
1.3.0 (12 March 2018):
- Added the possibility to add WP posts as news items.
- Added a new feed option to be able to use WP posts as a feed source.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the RSS feed not to load properly when using the “rss2json” service from a page on HTTPS.
- Made an improvement to the admin JS files so that errors from unrelated JS files no longer sometimes stop them from being run properly.
- Fixed an issue that was causing not all created tickers to show sometimes in the shortcode insert modal.
- Fixed an issue that was causing not all created tickers to show sometimes in the widget dropdown.
- Other small modifications and improvements.
1.2.0 (19 July 2017):
- Improved the code comments for the main plugin file.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the post type single page not to work properly without updating the permalinks.
- Improved the way the JSON feed is loaded when “Load type” set to “Process”.
- Made improvements to the insert modal look and code.
- A few other small code improvements.
1.1.0 (8 June 2017):
- Fixed an issue that was causing the shortcode content not to be displayed in the proper place sometimes.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the ticker post page not to display properly in some older versions of PHP installs.
- Improved the code so that the same ticker (with the same ID) can now be added multiple times on the same page.
- Improved the code so that the ticker CSS file is only loaded when the shortcode is used on the page.
- Improved the update functionality so that it is no longer required to deactivate the plugin when updating the files.
- Added support to be able to install the Envato Market plugin from an admin notification. This can be used to easily install and update any of your Envato WP projects, including the ticker.
- Made a series of other small modifications and improvements.
1.0.0 (6 May 2017):